Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has been in a hospital since doctors discovered a blood clot in her brain, after tests following her fall two weeks ago. The former first daughter, Chelsea Clinton, was seen leaving New York Presbyterian Hospital, where her mother is currently staying under the watchful eye of doctors.

Hillary Clinton

Chelsea was the first Clinton to visit the patient, her father, the former President Bill Clinton followed shortly after for a short visit. Concern clearly showing on both their faces as they were spotted leaving the hospital.

Mrs. Clinton, 65, is expected to stay in the hospital for observation after doctors determined the clot is located between the brain and the skull. In a statement yesterday, the doctors assured that this is not a life threatening condition and that the Secretary of State has suffered no brain damage or stroke.

‘In all other aspects of her recovery, the Secretary is making excellent progress and we are confident she will make a full recovery. She is in good spirits, engaging with her doctors, her family, and her staff,’ Drs Lisa Bardack and Gigi El-Bayoumi said in a statement.

Clinton’s condition can be treated by administering blood thinners until the clot dissolves, though this can take a long period of time and doctors have to find the exact dose that will be most effective in treating her condition. Doctors have stated that they want to monitor her progress for at least 48 hours. She was admitted to the hospital on Sunday.

Reporters from the New York Daily News were first to spot Chelsea Clinton coming to her mother’s bedside and captured her as she left the hospital, obviously upset. President Clinton reportedly also looked concerned as he left after visiting his wife.

Previously, in 1998 Clinton suffered from a clot in one of her legs and was treated with blood thinners at the time. The Secretary of State said that was the ‘biggest health scare of her life’.

Her current condition coincided, ironically, with her much anticipated appearance before an investigative committee that is looking into the circumstances of the deadly terrorist attack on the US Consulate in Benghazi, Libya which resulted in the murder of Ambassador Chris Stevens on September 11, 2012.