Maria Pantazopoulos, is the bride who died tragically in a rushing waterfall in a trendy photoshoot. She was doing a Trash The Dress shoot, where the bride ruins the wedding dress in a creative photography session.
This is just a sad and unnecessary story. Maria Pantazopoulos, was a Canadian real estate broker who had just married on June 9th. She was doing a final photoshoot, a new trend among recent brides called Trash The Dress, and had chosen a beautiful spot at a waterfall on the Ouareau River near Dorwin Falls, north of Montreal.
She had hired photographer Louis Pagakis, who brought along an assistant. Maria was standing in about 6 inches of water, but her dress took on too much weight causing her to slip. The photographer says she began yelling “I’m slipping, I’m slipping, I’m slipping” and he and his assistant tried to grab her and pull her to safety. But her dress was too heavy and she slipped in.
A private diver, who knew the water well, found her body 20 feet below, after hours of searching. She had sunk to the bottom. It was not the location that was dangerous, but the weight of the water that made it deadly.
Police spokesman Sgt. Ronald McInnis said that though the waterfall was elevated and rocky, “There’s not a very strong current there, and not much water. Her dress became full of water. It became too heavy.”
The photographer and his assistant had to rushed to the hospital, as they went into shock. Maria’s family was not at the photoshoot, so they fortunate not to have witnessed the event.
This is just so sad and unnecessary to me. First of all – trashing your wedding dress? What a dumb trend! Apparently this trend became popular back in 1998 when Meg Cummings, of the short lived soap opera Sunset Beach, ran into the ocean in her wedding dress after her wedding was ruined. I used to love that show and do not recall that being a stand out moment for me. Though if you google Trash the Dress, some of the images are stunning, but let’s start a new trend – donate it to someone who can’t afford such a luxury!
Secondly, getting wet in clothing is dangerous, never mind a full gown. I am so sorry that this happened, obviously it was a mistake, it just upsets me when such an unnecessary tragedy happens. Her poor husband must be devastated!