Hannah Defoe was on vacation on the island of St. Lucia when the unthinkable happened. Find out how her tragic death here, and why she is in the news.
Sure, people die on vacation all of the time. Tragedy strikes at the most unpredictable times. That’s exactly what happened to the cousin of famous soccer player Jermain Defoe, who plays for a team out of Tottenham, England.
The 20-year-old simply tried to dive into a pool like anyone else on an island vacation would. The only problem is that the pool was apparently electrified. The electrical shock that ran through Hannah’s body in the swimming pool was enough to kill her.
Even though family members tried to jump in after her to save her, it was too late. The people who risked everything to try to pull her out were also injured, but they managed to survive.
It turns out that they must be pretty close, because her cousin Jermain is going to travel all the way back to be with family after the tragedy. The soccer club that he plays for released an official statement:
“Jermain Defoe is to return home from our pre-season tour of the United States after receiving the tragic news of the death of his cousin Hannah Defoe while on holiday in St Lucia…Everyone at the club sends their sincere condolences to Jermain and his family and all our thoughts are with them at this sad time.”
The victim in this awful story, Hannah, had just arrived on St. Lucia before it happened. She was apparently just about to turn 21-years-old and her aunt was trying to show her a good time by invited her on the vacation.
As of now, there isn’t much else known about Hannah. We do know that she was a performing arts student at a school in Enfield, North London. It sounds like she was creative, and it makes me wonder if she was planning to try out a career in acting. Now we will never know because she died so young.
Here in Florida we just had a tragedy similar to this. Sadly, it was a tourist from New York he jumped into a pond at a miniature golf course. That pond was electrocuted because of faulty equipment, and she died as well.
Maybe these sad events will cause people to double check their equipment so this never happens again.
Here is another Hannah Defoe photo: